Sunday 27 October 2013

Poetry is Healthy.

Recently I have been struggling to be creative, as in I want to be but I think all my ideas are weak or I simply have to ideas at all. I didn't really know how to get round this so I tried to avoid doing creative stuff for a while, which obviously didn't work, tried watching more films, reading more books, watching more YouTube, writing down my ideas, but good creativity was hard to come across. However yesterday I went into Waterstones for the first time in ages, as usually I go to the library or shop online for books, I looked around for ages, reading different passages and pages from random books. And then, I came across the poetry section. I have never loved poetry more! I bought three poetry books (Family Values by Wendy Cope, Selected Poems by Sophie Hannah and Ariel by Sylvia Plath) and To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (we are studying it at school). I began to read Selected Poems by Sophie Hannah and I could not stop, I feel like the way she writes mirrors the way I often think about things and, especially in her poems about men or relationships, I felt like I was on the same wave-length as her, she just voices her thoughts in wittier and more poetic ways. After reading a whole load of poetry from all three poets I felt really happy and, despite yesterday not being a great day, I felt like the little problems didn't matter as Sophie Hannah had one or two poems that could relate to the things that were getting me down!
   After reading a load of poetry I went on Facebook and saw something really quite upsetting to do with a very close friend that I've had for just over a year now. I felt really betrayed and overall let down by them however where I would usually go on Tumblr and mope around until going to bed, I sat down and wrote a song! I think it may just be the second best song I've wrote and I think that's all down to my day of poetry! So thank you poetry for unblocking my creative block. :)

Here is some poets/poetry I can highly recommend:
- Rubbish at Adultery by Sophie Hannah
- Leaving and Leaving You by Sophie Hannah
- Insomniac by Sylvia Plath
- Once I'm Dead by Wendy Cope
- Preventive Elegy by Sophie Hannah
- To Whom It May Concern at the Whalley Range Driving Test Centre by Sophie Hannah

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to check out the rest of these poems, but Leaving and Leaving you has to be one of my all-time favourites - I discovered it a few years ago and, having just moved from the city I grew up in to the countryside, it mirrored my thoughts entirely - it was the first time I think I'd ever felt so connected to a poem in a personal sense.
    I recently stumbled across this poem (I had no idea how many view it now has, it's raised by like 4 million aha) on a poetry slam youtube channel (I love browsing these) and you should check it out - I fell in love! I love the way he delivers it. Enjoy! xxxx


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnKZ4pdSU-s


    thisisfrom-matilda.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just checked out that poem you linked, it is fantastic! I see what you mean about the way he delivers it. Thank you, I will be listening to this over and over again!
      xxxx

      Delete